Skip to main content

Contemplating a blank screen....

It's been a pretty full week. There have been my usual jobs...I garden, and tutor children after school in maths and English,... and I've completed a coaster order, started another, worked on a card order and doodled daily!
And in the back of my mind I've been thinking....
...contemplating.....


For many years now I have had my screens produced photographically. However, lately I keep thinking about hand painting some screens again....as I did when I first learned to screen print. 
So, I have bought a blank screen and some filler (the easy part) and am now wondering what I am going to paint onto it.

And the terror of the blank page is bubbling up again....!
I need to remind myself that if I make a mess...I can delete it with turps...and start again! So if I don't show you a new hand painted design in the near future, you'll know what I'm doing...
...painting on....washing off...painting on...washing off....  :)
Here are some of the doodles I did this week as part of my commitment to doing a doodle a day for 100 days....
 




.....and some coasters.
These coasters are hand screen printed poplin, on a wooden base. The edges have been varnished, black felt glued to the underside and they have been sprayed with scotchgard to make them water and stain resistant.



I hope your week has been happy and productive.
Jill xx

Comments

  1. I love the idea of printing. I think the only time I tried it was at school. The shell doodle is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill, Brigitte and I are sitting here oohing and aahing at your gorgeous doodles, she said that if you'd like to send the dandelion one over...and I like the row of weeds/dandelion one best...that she would be more than happy to stick it on the wall...well, you know what I mean! I can't wait to see your hand painted screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you both! I'll talk to you soon,... and let Brigitte know I'll send her the doodle. They're not on the greatest paper though!

      Delete
  3. Your doodles are works of art in themselves Jill, the curves in that second doodle image are so controlled, I love it!

    I painted my own screens as an art student ... I can't say it's something I'm keen to get back to you, but I admire anyone who tackles this stuff, I know it's not easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your doodles Jill, especially the shell one. And your coasters are brilliant. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel. Today on your blog I saw the knitting you did, inspired by the colours of shells. Beautiful!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jill, you have been busy! Awesome doodles! Re the screen - You Can Do It! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chant goes up: Hand paint, hand paint, hand paint... go oooooon! It will all be delightful, whatever you do, Jill. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time to get focused....

Lately life has been getting in the way of my ability to focus on this little business. I've been feeling keen...excited...but too time poor to spend much time in my studio. Elderly parents and my gardening  business have been taking priority.
But I know from past experience that if I don't have my design work plodding along beside all those other commitments my life just doesn't seem to work right...it starts to feel out of balance.
So this morning...I gave myself a bit of a talking to and decided that I need to turn my focus a little towards this creative venture.  As I typed the word venture, I wanted to delete it and write adventure instead, because that's what I am craving...creative adventure. So...let the creative adventures begin!!
Small steps...for the next few weeks I'm going to use this blog as a place to record the daily steps I take to get this part of my life back on track again.


Teapot stand now available in my online shop
Jill xx

Creative adventure day 2....

Day 2 of my new creative adventure and two lovely things happened today. 
First, the lovely people who run felt.co.nz, (that hosts my online shop), showcased one of my products on the homepage....
and second, a lovely friend of mine bought a set of coasters.

This afternoon I had to take my car to get a warrant of fitness and learned that I needed something small but expensive fixed. So, came home feeling a bit despondent...The enthusiasm I felt yesterday for pushing ahead with this little design business had waned under the looming car bill...
Then I turned on my computer and discovered that lovely things were happening in my day that I had been unaware of and felt encouraged. 
So, back on track, refocusing and blocking out silly things like car bills....what small tasks can I do today?

I'm going to wrap up the coasters ready to post tomorrow,...
Sand some more coasters ready to print...
Start making a new makeup bag...
And of course, publish this blog post.

Don't you just lo…

First day back...

It's my first day back in my studio this year...
Too many tea breaks as I'm at a bit of a loss. A bit nervous.  A bit excited. Not sure what I'm doing. 

Vague ideas about projects I want to do, but nothing fully formed. Focus required.


I've pulled all my drawings and inspirational bits and pieces off my studio wall. 
They are tired.
So last year!

I want new.
A clean slate, a new page.

A couple of screens are stacked, ready to paint.
An empty wall wants decorating with new ideas.
Writing this....excitement is winning over nervousness.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Jill xx