Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Playing around with paisley....

On Days 41 and 42 of the 100 days of doodling challenge I played around with a couple of paisley designs....



Last weekend I experimented a bit with painting my own screen printing screen.
 For some reason the pristine new screen that I bought for this purpose just seemed...well...too pristine and new!
I couldn't start painting on it with the resist, in case I made a mistake.
Ridiculous probably...
But...the old perfectionism was getting in the way...
So..I decided to use and old, almost worn out screen to do some experiments by way of warming up to the project.
I sort of doodled on the screen, applying the resist with various brushes and even a squeezy bottle...just to see what the effect of each one was.
I'm glad I did, because now I feel more ready to start painting on that pristine , new one!


I allowed myself to make a complete mess of the screen...trying out different ways of applying the resist.

And then I printed...



I guess sometimes you have to allow yourself to experiment and make mistakes in order to learn what can and can't be done.
I learned quite a bit about the process last  weekend and I am now feeling excited about all the possibilities....
 Jill xx


4 comments:

  1. Oh, I am very, very fond of paisley and have been since I was a girl. I think my Dad had paisley pyjamas and my mum had a paisley shawl that I just adored when I was really young.

    I need some paisley in my wardrobe these days... where there's a will there's a way. Good to meet you via Maxabella's rewind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill...I'm excited about how the tree trunk print turned out! Loving the paisley too, great interpretations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn perfectionism ... I suffer from it too. I'm loving the paisley designs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your doodles, Jill. You've actually been inspiring me lately to get my Artline working a little bit more often and I'm enjoying myself immensely! x

    ReplyDelete