Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Flowers...and other stuff...

Summer is winding down. There is just a hint of autumn in the air and the summer flowers are fading...
But I managed to find a few flowers in the garden to photograph with the coasters and place mats I have made during the last week.


These sets of 6 place mats and coasters were made to order and have now been sent to their new homes. The pacific style designs are hand printed on wood. Four coats of varnish is then applied to give them a glossy finish.


Last week I also spent an evening painting a new screen. For a while now I have been wanting to hand paint the screens I use for screen printing, rather than designing them on my computer.
Such was my enthusiasm that I just felt completely compelled to paint a screen one evening. I based the design on one of the paintings I did for my 100 days of painting last winter (day 37).





However, I didn't really think about what I am going to use the design for. So, though I'm quite pleased with the result and learned quite a lot about the process, I'm not quite sure what to do with it now. Oh well :)
...so back to the drawing board...
...and something might occur to me about how to use the screen...

And something I keep forgetting to mention...

Last year I moved house. I didn't mention it on this blog because when I was going through it all I stopped blogging as I was so busy. Anyway, the wonderful thing is that mid last year I had a small cottage built on the back of my parents section, in west Auckland. Fortunately they have quite a large section, so even with my parents house and my small cottage there is still plenty of garden. We are all keen gardeners and I have really enjoyed sharing the garden since I move in last May. Almost a year ago! 
Below are a few photos...
(I'll save some photos of the actual cottage and my studio for another time.)


 The view from my deck, taken late last winter...


My cat whisper enjoying her new home in the spring...


And another spring photo...new tomato plants. I went out to take a photo of the vegetable garden a moment ago but it's not looking very photogenic...all bedraggled and end of season-ish.
We went on to plant beans, zucchini, lettuce, capsicum, cucumbers, spinach, parsley and pumpkin. I have been feasting on all this lovely fresh produce for most of the summer. The tomatoes have overwhelmed us and last night mum and I began mincing and bottling them. I'm looking forward to using some of it in winter casseroles and soups.



The beans in this picture are being saved for seed, for next season - precious Shiny Fardenlosa! 

Jill xx

No comments:

Post a Comment