Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Cup of tea?

Completed teapot stands.

Right now I'm feeling a bit flat and lacking motivation. 

 I've just been through a period of feeling really creative, masses of ideas and lots of energy. When I'm like that I just want to work all the time. Then gradually I get more and more tired, until I need to stop.

So I stopped.
And now I'm in that stage of wanting to get going again.

I think it's the hardest part of the creative cycle.

Over the years I've developed a few strategies to get past particular phase. The first thing is to recognize that it is just part of  my creative cycle. Often it takes me ages to cotton on to this and that makes it much harder to move through it. 

Something else I do is to write my daily morning pages (3 pages of longhand stream of consciousness writing) as prescribed by Julia Cameron in her wonderful book The Artist's Way.  So I did them this morning and already feel a bit better. I wish I could be more consistent in doing them!

Making sure I eat well and get enough sleep is another must do. 

And finally I need lots of quiet time in the studio to get my bearings again, to just do some gentle making of things I know how to do, to open the door gently so inspiration knows I'm back and would welcome a visit!

So this afternoon I'm going to sew another makeup purse. I have a couple printed and cut out, just needing to be sewn.



If you have any tips on how you get going again, I'd love to hear them.
I hope you're having a lovely week.
Jill xx

No comments:

Post a Comment